The Complete Guide to Choosing the Best Ceiling Paint
Painting a ceiling can be a daunting task, and selecting the right paint can make all the difference. Not all paints are created equal, and making the wrong choice can result in a poor finish, flaking, or peeling. In this article, we will provide you with a comprehensive guide to selecting the best paint for ceilings.
Consider the following points before purchasing ceiling paint:
- Room size and shape – Smaller rooms may require brighter colours to appear larger, while larger rooms may require colours that make them appear shorter or wider.
- Lighting – Select the paint that works best with your lighting, whether natural or artificial.
- Ceiling condition – If the ceiling is in poor condition, choose a high-quality paint that can conceal flaws.
- Ventilation – If the room has poor ventilation, choose a paint with low VOCs (volatile organic compounds) to avoid harmful fumes.
The following are the most common ceiling paint types:
- Flat paint is the most commonly used for ceilings. It has a matte finish, does not reflect light, and hides flaws.
- Eggshell Paint – This type of paint has a slight sheen and is easy to clean. It’s ideal for high-traffic areas like living rooms and kitchens.
- Satin Paint – Satin paint has a slight gloss and is also easy to clean. It is appropriate for areas with high humidity, such as bathrooms.
- Gloss Paint – Gloss paint has a high gloss finish and is best used on decorative mouldings or trim.
The following are some of the best ceiling paints on the market:
- Behr Ultra Pure White – This paint has a matte finish, hides imperfections, and provides excellent coverage.
- Valspar Ceiling Paint and Primer – This low-cost paint is ideal for ceilings and has a flat finish that hides imperfections.
- KILZ2 Multi-surface Sealer and Stainblocker – This paint is ideal for ceilings that have been damaged by water or smoke. It has a flat finish and hides flaws.
- Valspar Color-Changing Ceiling Paint and Primer – This paint has a colour-changing formula that goes on pink and dries white. It has a flat finish that hides flaws.
- Sherwin-Williams Emerald Interior Acrylic Latex Paint – This paint has a low VOC formula, dries quickly, and is easy to clean.
Tips for painting a ceiling:
- To reach high places, use a paint roller with an extension pole.
- Use drop cloths or plastic sheets to protect the floor from paint drips.
- Use painter’s tape to protect walls, crown mouldings, and other areas you don’t want to paint.
- Always begin by painting the edges of the ceiling before filling in the rest.
- For the best results, apply at least two coats of paint.
The best paint for ceilings is determined by several factors, including room size, lighting, ceiling condition, and ventilation. Flat paint is the most commonly used for ceilings, but other types such as eggshell, satin, and gloss paints each have their own advantages. With our help, you can select the best paint for your ceiling and paint like a pro. Remember to follow the tips provided to achieve a professional finish.